Improving the Surface Finish of Parts Made With Thermoplastic Extrusion Part 2: Preliminary Tensile Testing Results

In continuation of my first post on this subject, the first three of tensile specimens were put to the test this past week. With the assistance of Dr. Harvey West, I subjected the specimens to a tensile test until failure. For the set up I chose to apply a 0.1 in/min displacement of the load. I also used a 5000 lb capacity load cell to withstand the loads I wished to apply and a universal joint to compensate for any warping that might have occurred in previous steps. (i.e. in the printing process or in the acetone bath)

Improving-the-Surface-Finish-1

As hypothesized, I have seen that there is a noticeable difference between the parts subjected to the acetone treatment versus those that weren’t subjected to any treatment (Y1-1). From the preliminary testing, I even saw that there was also a difference between the specimens that were exposed to high-temperature testing (Y3-1) versus low-temperature testing (Y2-1).  While the peak loads do not very much there appears to be a difference in the area under the load-displacement curves.

Improving-the-Surface-Finish-2

The initial results look promising, however , I will be continuing to test the remaining samples that I already have and I will post more results as they are acquired.